expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Thursday 5 January 2012

a very good granola

Granola saved with homemade pouring yogurt and dried tropical fruits.

Homemade granola is delicious, fast, filling and much cheaper than shop-bought! It’s easy to make, too - it just needs a long, slow toasting and once you have mastered your own recipe it is well nigh impossible to go back to any commercial variety. The result is a wonderfully crisp textured cereal with just the right amount of sweetness. You can eat this as you would any other cereal, with cold milk or some natural yoghurt. The key is to cook the granola until it is a lovely crunchy golden brown. You can take your own nut preference into account, but remember that all nuts are not created equal and some are a lot more expensive than others.

300g Jumbo oats
50g Pinhead oats
1 Tbsp Wheatgerm
120g Sunflower seeds
120g Pumpkin seeds
150g Mixed nuts of your choice
Pinch of salt

125ml Apple juice
4 Tbsp Maple syrup
2 Tbsp Sunflower oil

Preheat the oven to 300F (150C) or use the bottom oven of a range.

The basic granola is also a great ingredient for cookies and crumbles.

1. In a very large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients

2. In a small pyrex jug, whisk together the wet ingredients and mix into the dry ingredients until thoroughly dispersed, then divide and spread the mixture evenly on two baking sheets.

3. Bake the granola for about an hour, stirring every 15 minutes, until the granola is a nice golden brown.

4. Remove from oven, then cool completely.

Store the granola in a large, airtight container. It will keep for up to one month. These quantities make about 11 very generous servings.

Add your own favorite toppings to the basic mix.

Now for the fun part… Mr. Snug is in training for a triathlon and eats this granola the same way with the same topping and milk every single morning. It keeps him full 'til lunch time and if he can't have any he will not be a happy bunny. If I had to eat the same thing every morning I honestly think I would lose my will to live. I do eat this granola about once a week but I have hardly ever eaten it the same way twice… natural yogurt, fresh and dried fruit - the possibilities are endless.

Some of my additions have been extra pecans and brazil nuts, sesame seeds, dried coconut, dark and golden raisins, currants, prunes, dates, sugared mango and papaya, dried cherries and apricots. A bit of ground cinnamon, ground ginger, almond or vanilla extract, finely grated orange zest and chocolate chips.

If you are adding any spices or extra seeds and nuts they should be added before the baking stage. Add any dried fruits or chocolate chips when the granola is completely cooled.

6 comments:

  1. Oh i love the look of your granola. Haven't made it for ages, must do some. I do find myself snacking on it when I make it and it would make a great brekkie for the children on a school day, really filling them up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Homemade granola is the best and yours looks lovely! Lots of gorgeous seeds & love the idea of adding in chocolate chips too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love homemade granola. I can it straight from a jar.
    If you need any inspiration for granola here is list of recipes I gather http://www.diigo.com/user/damafa/granola
    And you must try Nigella's Granola muffins. They are delicious. You may just add a little less sugar. I put 140 g http://events.nytimes.com/recipes/1822/2003/12/24/Granola-Muffins/recipe.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. This granola looks fab! I've yet to make my own but 2012 could be the year I finally get around to it. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your granola looks so good! I've actually never made my own but I think I'm going to try yours - even if you're too lazy to wash the juicer to make my juice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your food is amazing. I am going to make one of these recipies for my husband. Great blog. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Say hi, don't be shy!